Mere Suggestion : Story


Mere Suggestion
Translated by Clark M. Zlotchew


My friends say I am very suggestible. I think they're right. As evidence of this, they bring up a little incident that I was involved in last Thursday.
     That morning I was reading a horror novel and, although it was broad daylight, I fell victim to the power of suggestion. This suggestion implanted in me the idea that there was a bloodthirsty murderer in the kitchen; and this bloodthirsty murderer, brandishing an enormous dagger, was waiting for me to enter the kitchen so he could leap upon me and plunge the knife into my back. So, in spite of my being seated directly across from the kitchen door, in spite of the fact that no one could have gone into the kitchen without my having seen him, and that there was no other access to the kitchen but that door; in spite of all these facts, I, nonetheless, was fully convinced that the murderer lurked behind the closed door.
     So I fell victim to the power of suggestion and did not have the courage to enter the kitchen. This worried me, because lunch time was approaching and it would be indispensable for me to go into the kitchen. Then the doorbell rang.
     "Come in!" I yelled without standing up. "It's not locked."
     The building superintendent came in, with two or three letters.
     "My leg fell asleep," I said. "Could you go to the kitchen and bring me a glass of water?"
     The super said, "Of course," opened the kitchen door and went in. I heard a cry of pain and the sound of a body that, in collapsing, dragged with it dishes or bottles. Then I leaped from my chair and ran to the kitchen. The super, half his body on the table and an enormous dagger plunged into his back, lay dead. Now, calmed down, I was able to determine that, of course, there was no murderer in the kitchen.
     As is logical, it was a case of mere suggestion.
transleted
Mere Saran
Diterjemahkan oleh Clark M. Zlotchew
Fernando Sorrentino

Teman-teman saya mengatakan bahwa saya sangat dibisikkan. Saya pikir mereka benar. Sebagai bukti ini, mereka membawa sebuah insiden kecil yang saya terlibat dalam Kamis lalu.
      Pagi itu saya membaca sebuah novel horor dan, meskipun siang hari bolong, saya menjadi korban kekuatan sugesti. Saran ini ditanamkan pada saya ide bahwa ada seorang pembunuh haus darah di dapur, dan ini pembunuh haus darah, mengacungkan sebuah belati yang sangat besar, sedang menunggu saya untuk masuk dapur sehingga ia bisa melompat kepadaku dan terjun pisau ke punggungku. Jadi, meskipun saya sedang duduk persis di seberang pintu dapur, meskipun fakta bahwa tak seorang pun bisa pergi ke dapur tanpa melihatnya, dan bahwa tidak ada akses lain ke dapur tapi pintu itu; di Terlepas dari semua fakta ini, saya, namun, sepenuhnya yakin bahwa pembunuh mengintai di balik pintu tertutup.
      Jadi saya menjadi korban kekuatan sugesti dan tidak memiliki keberanian untuk memasuki dapur. Ini mengkhawatirkan saya, karena waktu makan siang sudah dekat dan itu akan sangat diperlukan bagi saya untuk pergi ke dapur. Kemudian bel pintu berbunyi.
      "Masuk!" Aku berteriak tanpa berdiri. "Ini tidak terkunci."
      Pengawas bangunan masuk, dengan dua atau tiga huruf.
      "Kaki saya tertidur," kataku. "Bisakah Anda pergi ke dapur dan membawa segelas air?"
      Super berkata, "Tentu saja," membuka pintu dapur dan masuk aku mendengar teriakan kesakitan dan suara tubuh yang, dalam runtuh, menyeret dengan itu piring atau botol. Lalu aku melompat dari kursiku dan berlari ke dapur. The, super setengah tubuhnya di meja dan belati besar terjun ke punggungnya, terbaring mati. Sekarang, tenang, saya bisa menentukan itu, tentu saja, tidak ada pembunuh di dapur.
      Seperti logis, itu adalah kasus sugesti belaka.